Emergency Surgery Successful
On Tuesday, July 13th, after a very light breakfast, I felt terribly ill. I felt nauseous and faint and then had quite a bit of vomiting. I was sweating profusely.
We called the Cancer Institute nurse triage line, and they recommended 911. We called 911 and I was taken by ambulance to the emergency room at Hershey Medical Center. A CT scan showed massive distention of the stomach, extensive fluids in the abdomen, and some gas in that free abdominal fluid. The gas was concerning, as it suggested a perforation in the GI tract was allowing gastric contents into the abdomen. That could cause infection and sepsis.
Surgical oncology performed emergency open-abdomen surgery to find the leak.
They found a hole by the stent in the upper duodenum. It was hard to patch, so they moved a layer of fat from another part of the abdomen to cover the hole and encourage the body to heal the wound itself. They inserted two drains to drain any extra fluid from that area of the abdomen.
They also placed a feeding peg through the abdominal wall into the stomach that can drain the stomach and has a feeding tube line that extends into the jejunum, or small intestine. They also bypassed the duodenum to join part of the stomach to a lower loop if the jejunum so that I can eat regular meals and not be limited to a stent diet (pureed foods) and to minimize the many digestive problems I have had with constrictions in the duodenum.
The surgery went well, praise God. I am now in recovery. I was able to sit up in a chair today for a while. I am told I may be here for a week in recovery, and then it may be several weeks/months before I am cleared to take oral nutrition. Thankfully I can take food through the feeding peg soon.
This was a surprise. However, I am encouraged by the prospect of eating 'normal' food again sometime this summer or autumn! I look forward to eating a real Thanksgiving dinner this year!
Thank you for praying. God is good. I have sensed his hand of blessing and protection in every leg of this adventure.
May each of you be encouraged and blessed.
Much love,
Tim
Comments
Post a Comment