Post-Treatment Updates
Dear friends,
Thank you for your support during this battle with pancreatic cancer! God gives healing and strength!
On June 24th, 2021, I received my last dose of radiation treatment on the pancreas. It is the last dose I am allowed to receive on the pancreas, as I have now completed a full lifetime dose of radiation in that area. As doctors tell me it will take time for inflammation caused by radiation to subside, something necessary before accurate CT imaging can be done, I have my first post-radiation CT scan scheduled for July 21st. I pray for good results!
My radiation oncologist said that it may yet be difficult to see what effect the radiation had on the tumor. This is because the radiation can cause tissue scarring. Scar tissue can be difficult to distinguish from the tumor.
I asked how we could know the effect. She said we would simply have to repeat CT imaging on a regular basis, likely every three months, to look for any changes.
In terms of how I feel post-radiation, I did have quite a bit of fatigue, as doctors said I would. However, It was not as bad as I thought. A hernia that developed while I was trying to exercise during my hospital stay in March had grown worse, causing pain if I was on my feet or sitting up too long. That reduced my daily activities and exercise routines. I have found a hernia belt to help and have a consult with surgery scheduled later in July to discuss treatment options.
Perhaps the most challenging side effect has been some slow-down of gastric emptying, likely caused by the radiation inflammation around the pancreas and duodenum. This has caused some bloating and discomfort. I have a GI endoscopy scheduled for later in July as well to see what the situation is in the duodenum and what may be done to alleviate it.
Overall, though, I do feel better. I am excited to be alive! After extended episodes of fasting and IV feeding in March and April, it is a joy to eat food, even if pureed for a stent diet. It is a joy to spend time with family and see my children grow. It is a joy to go for walks to build strength and see the beauty of Pennsylvania in the summer.
I am continuing with high-dose Intravenous Vitamin C and taking many other nutritional supplements for which there is some evidence in literature that they can be beneficial in fighting cancer.
I continue to be awed and humbled by the amazing love and generosity of family and friends around the world in supporting us during this adventure. I want to especially say thanks to those providing housing. Hershey Free Church opened up a lovely house with a beautiful, expansive yard for us. They generously paid the rent for several months, and then continued to provide it for greatly subsidized rates. Another friend covered the rent. As that house was booked for another family in July, we recently moved out and have again been tremendously blessed as family have sacrificed to provide a furnished apartment in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania.
Congratulations to my students and colleagues at Epoka University as the Class of 2021 just graduated! I am honored to have had the privilege of working with you and and delighted to see the fruit of your labor. Thank you for your amazing support during this battle.
Thank you, dear friends around the world, for standing with me in this time! May God answer prayer. He is faithful and is answering them!
Blessings and love,
Tim
Comments
Post a Comment